Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hitchcock

Yes, Psycho is 50 years old and is being shown all over the place this year.  So let's talk about Hitchcock.  No, not that one...I mean Patricia Hitchcock. 

Alfred's daughter had several bit parts in her father's movies and on TV.  She appeared in Psycho as Caroline when she was 32 years old.  Before that she was in the 1956 DeMille blockbuster, The Ten Commandments, along with every other actor in Hollywood.  (I can still hear Edward G. Robinson asking, "Where's your Moses now?" like a gangster!)  You can find Pat in 10 episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" as well.  I can only imagine what it was like growing up with Alfred Hitchcock!  I bet she couldn't get any friends to come over at Halloween.

Who else can you find in Psycho?  Of course, in this forum we will ignore the obvious, Tony Perkins and Janet Leigh.  I saw Ted Knight listed as a policeman.  The voice of Norma Bates was played by three people; Virginia Gregg (201 career acting roles), Jeanette Nolan (192 roles), and Jeff Jasmin (only 11 roles).  It seems that most of these people did a lot of TV.

There was also Sam Flint.  A veteran of 344 acting roles over 35 years.  He was in many early TV shows as well as movies.  I also noticed that many of these actors appear in other Hitchcock projects.  I guess Hitch would keep track of his cast and use them again, if they could bring what he needed to a part.

I know that almost anyone who would read this blog has probably seen Psycho at least once.  I guarantee it will be on PBS, or maybe a local TV station in the next few weeks.  Watch it again, but pay attention to the bit parts!  I'll be watching for Ted Knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts, but they will be monitored so keep it on topic.