Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Michael Gross

More computer issues today, but it is still running!  A new computer must be in my future.  I have several Google ads on this blog that I am sure you can't miss, and they pay money.  My hit count has been rising, so I figured I'll put those funds toward a new computer.  A quick check of the savings Google has accrued for me shows the princely sum of $1.99...after only six months!  At that rate, I should be able to place my order within 250 years.

A word of advice to my readers.  If you want to write a blog, do it because you love the subject and love to write.  Don't expect to make any money!

Michael Gross (b. 1947) was also in Tremors (1990) with Fred Ward from yesterday's post.  He lived a survivalist lifestyle in the film with his wife, played by Reba McEntire (b. 1955).

Gross is best remembered as the father of Michael Keaton, played by Michael J. Fox (b. 1961), on "Family Ties."  Gross has 76 titles on his list of work, starting in 1976.

Most of his early work was on TV.  He made Big Business with Bette Midler (b. 1945), Lily Tomlin (b. 1939) and Fred Ward in 1988, and I imagine he was being noticed for his work on "Family Ties," which premiered in 1982.

It's interesting that he kept to TV for most of his work, even after tasting what it is like to make movies.  I wonder how those decisions are made, but I guess I'll never really know.  My career is a bit different!

Look for him in True Heart (1997) with Kristen Dunst (b. 1982).  That movie is about a brother and sister who crash land in Canada where they must rely on the help of a native and his bear.  (See what I mean about choices?)

Gross goes on to make several video releases of Tremors sequels, and also appears on "Tremors" on TV in the same role.  That's four movies and one season on TV, and it's enough to make you tremble.

It appears that Tremors was his high mark on film.  He still does well on TV after the last one, Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004).  At least, I hope its the last one.  But his movie work is not so hot.

An American in China (2008) with James Snyder, and Stay Cool (2009) with Winona Ryder (b. 1971) round out his released film work so far.  Not big hits, either one.  But, Michael Gross is talented, good looking, has a good voice, and is probably a safe bet for a casting director to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your thoughts, but they will be monitored so keep it on topic.