Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A bit about me

This is only my second post to the blog, so here is some info about me.  I figure I will get this out of the way, since there are no followers on the blog yet.  If people are interested, they should be able to go back and find these early posts.

I was born in 1950.  Movies were quite sophisticated by then, with great movies like Sunset Boulevard, Cinderella, Born Yesterday, All About Eve, Winchester '73 (one of my favorites, with a bit part by Rock Hudson as Young Bull, a Native American!), and the film noir classic DOA.  These movies all had class.  They had intricate plots and great stars, as well as wonderful supporting roles and bit parts.  Of course, I was too young to know them first hand.

By the time I was able to follow the story of a simple movie, my parents would take the family to the theater.  Our local theater was The Keswick in Glenside, PA.  The building was designed by the same architect who designed the Philadelphia Art Museum.  When it eventually went out of business, it was saved from demolition by a community of people who turned it into a performing arts center.  www.keswicktheatre.com/index.cgi

About once a year, we would drive to New York for a show at Radio City Music Hall.  It was quite a treat to view North by Northwest at RCMH!  Plus, I loved the theater organ.

Back in the '50s, it was still safe for a young guy to walk to the movies every Saturday by himself, so of course, I did.  The Keswick had a Saturday matinee for 50 cents that included several cartoons, a two reel comedy (usually Laurel and Hardy or the Three Stooges), and then a feature.  Quite a bargain.

Things change as you grow up, and by my teen years model railroads and British cars took over my interests, but I always tried to get to the movies.  The Keswick was getting run down, but with a car, the new multi-plex theaters were plentiful and easy to get to.

Tomorrow I will tell you about my projectionist friend, and more about me.  For now, I hope you find this blog.  I have submitted the URL to Google for listing.  So far nothing comes up when you search.

All my best,

Allen

1 comment:

  1. This is just a test of what the comments will look like. I am just too curious!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts, but they will be monitored so keep it on topic.